May 16, 2007

Time and Tide wait for no one

Yesterday was SOV 2007, the third sov i have performed in 4 years. This time round, it was in the capacity of a guest choir, the victoria chorale. I felt very different on stage. From the moment i opened my mouth to sing for the rehearsal, i feel as if i was singing solo. Maybe thats the acoustics of the esplanade concert hall. Reminiscence of the good old times. I'm contented to be in chorale, although my ailing voice has not done enough to resurrect my dignity as a chorale singer. U know people always think chorale is like "perfect", and here i am, trying to conceal my underperforming voice beneath the shield of grand, mature, solid and powerful sound. People around me do not believe that my voice is that bad, but being the instrument myself- my voice, it is really hard to withdraw any self-reproach, let alone any inferiority complex. But maybe the joy of singing doesnt lies in the perfect all-rounded sound, maybe not the broadness, depth, bright, focus or even resonating for that matter. It's probably something less superficial, the heart. Unwavering committment to chorale practices had only proved a point - that it was my passion for choral music. The good thing is that the environment isnt at all unpleasant. Everyone there is receptive and reasonably warm, we are all there to learn.

Ok so now back to my topic. I took two consecutive tuesdays off for SYF and SOV. Both for choral music. And i would say it was time well spent. SYF: i'd always love to hear competitive singing, as it forces the choir to bring out the flavour of the music. Some choirs do it naturally because they are more conscious of the need to do so, while so poorer choirs try to imitate the musicality in an unnatural manner. Hearing the myriad of repertoire that day, besides enjoying the music, i am very happy to have people to accompany me on that off day :) Despite the slight dampening of mood due to RJ's results, my spirits remain generally high. It was such exuberance that makes it so memorable. I felt quite sianz the next day when i went to work lor.

As for SOV, chorale's stage time wasnt long, in total probably less than 15 minutes. But the highlight was no man. It was simply great. I believe no man bolds a different meaning to each and everyone of the members up there singing. We all find something we have in common together, and encapsulate it in this solemn and sentimental melody. For those who really cherish that pinnacle moment of their lives, it really can mean alot to stand up on stage for that two minutes or so. Well, before SOV i caught spiderman3 with calvin. well, 7 dollars worth of our time is indeed well spent. For the thrill and its meaning of life. Ok i will stop short of being another spiderman3 commentator for now. Judging by being one of the last few throngs of crowds to watch the movie, i shall leave the reputation of spiderman to stand for itself.

Time and tide wait for no one indeed. While i was absent, some events happened in camp, well not really pleasant ones, especially on my SOV day yesterday. Due to the sensitivities of the issue, i shall not write it here. But whatever it is, life is gonna change, not alot, but definitely not leaving me very happy either.

No comments:

What do you need?

"Once you understand the needs of the market, product is unimportant, competition is irrelevant" Very mind-blowing statement. An ...